Industrial Applications of Guar Gum
Guar gum and its derivatives are widely used in various industries as per its needs. It is used in industries such as food, textile, pharmaceuticals, personal care, health care, nutrition, cosmetics, paper, explosives, mining and oil well drilling. Guar gum mainly functions as a thickener, emulsifier, stabilizer, binding agent, gelling agent, natural fiber, flocculant, fracturing agent etc. in the above-mentioned industries
Applications of Food Grade Guar Gum Powder/ Derivatives
In food Industry guar gum / derivatives is used as gelling, viscosifying, thickening, clouding and binding agent as well as used for stabilization, emulsification, preservation, water retention, enhancement of water soluble fiber content etc. Guar Gum is preferred for its relatively low cost and the body it contributes to the product. It hydrates well in cold water, and often used in combination with carrageenan and locust bean gum to impart excellent properties to ice cream. Some food products in which guar gum powder is used are:
- Ice cream, soft drinks & concentrates, puddings
- Chocolate milk, flavored milk
- Pet Foods
- Bread, biscuit and other baked foods
- Ham and sausages
- Soft cheese and cheese spreads
- Canned or retorted food of fish and meat
- Myonnaise, ketchup, sauce and dressings
- Noodles and pasta
In frozen food products- guar gum reduces crystal formation; act as a binder & stabilizer to extend shelf life of ice cream.
In baked food products- guar gum provides unparallel moisture preservation to the dough and retards fat penetration in baked foods.
In dairy products- guar gum improves texture, maintains uniform viscosity and color.
In sauces & salad preparations- guar gum acts as a water binder in sauces and salad dressings and reduces water and oil separation.
In confectionary- guar gum controls viscosity, bloom, gel creation, glazing and moisture retention to produce the highest-grade confectionary.
In beverages- guar gum provides outstanding viscosity control and reduces calories value in low calories beverages.
In pet food- guar gum forms gels and retains moisture, acts as a thickening, stabilizer and suspending agent for veterinary preparations.
Guar gum or its derivatives are used in pharmaceutical industries as gelling / viscosifying / thickening, suspension, stabilization, emulsification, preservation, water retention / water phase control, binding, clouding/bodying, process aid, pour control for suspensions, anti-acid formulations, tablet binding & disintegration agent, controlled drug delivery systems, slimming aids, nutritional foods etc.
Guar gum is an important non-caloric source of soluble dietary fiber. Guar gum powder is widely used in capsules as dietary fiber. Fiber is a very important element of any healthy diet. It is useful in clear the intestinal system since fiber cannot be digested. This keeps the intestines functioning properly and also improves certain disorders and ailments. All natural fiber diet works with body to achieve a feeling of fullness and to reduce hunger. Its synergistic mix of guar gum and fiber mixture when taken with water expands in stomach to produce a feeling of fullness.
Guar gum or its derivatives being used as a thickener, protective colloid and conditioner in hair/skin care products, creams, shampoos and lotions. Beside this, these are also used in toothpaste and shaving cream for easy extruding from the container tube.
Applications of Industrial Grade Guar Gum Powder/ Derivatives
In industrial applications, guar gum powder/derivatives utilized as thickening agent, sizing agent, wet-end strength additive, gelling agent and water barrier, flocculation aid for waste water treatment, as emulsifier, binder. Also used for mud formulations, enhanced oil recovery, polymer flooding, well treatment, lost circulation plugging etc. Guar gum industrial grade powder is used in industries such as textile printing & sizing, fire fighting, ceramics, pharmaceuticals, printing inks, mosquito mats, synthetic resins, paper industry, battery electrolytes, water treatment, floatation agent, water paint, carpet printing, oil well drilling, explosives, mining etc.
- Guar gum provides better properties compared to substitutes.
- It gives denser surface to the paper used for printing.
- Guar gum imparts improved erasive and writing properties, better bonding strength and increased hardness.
- Due to improved adhesion, it gives better breaking, mullen and folding strengths.
- Guar gum gives excellent film forming and thickening properties when used for textile sizing, finishing and printing.
- It reduces warp breakage, reduces dusting while sizing and gives better efficiency in production.
Oil Field Industry
- Industrial grade guar gum powder/derivatives are use in oil well fracturing, oil well stimulation, mud drilling and industrial applications and preparations as a stabilizer, thickener and suspending agent.
- It is a natural, fast hydrating dispersible guar gum and is diesel slurriable.
- In the oil field industry, guar gum is used as a surfactant, synthetic polymer and deformer ideally suited for all rheological requirements of water-based and brine-based drilling fluids.
- High viscosity guar gum products are used as drilling aids in oil well drilling, geological drilling and water drilling.
- These products are used as viscosifiers to maintain drilling mud viscosities that enable drilling fluids to remove drill waste from deep holes.
- Guar gum products also reduce friction in the holes, and so minimizing power requirements. Some guar gum derivatives act to minimize water loss should occur in broken geological formations.
Metallurgical and Mining Industry
- Guar gum is widely used as a flocculants to produce liquid solid separation.
- Guar gum is also used in flotation. It acts as a depressant for talc or insoluble gangue mined along with the valuable minerals.
- Gelling agent for gel sausage type explosives and pump able slurry explosives.
- Water blocking agent in nitro-glycerine, slurry explosives, ammonium nitrate and dynamite explosives- by mixing guar gum in ammonium nitrate, nitro-glycerine and oil explosives, even in wet conditions, explosive property is maintained. This is due to the better swelling, water blocking and gelling properties of guar gum.